Sunday, October 10, 2010

Now what??

Mama here. I am totally at my wits end! I squeeze Fessy's ear as hard as I can & get little to nothing out...seems like I'm just making it worse. It is now so swollen that you can hardly see his ear canal.
I read that the hematoma will heal itself eventually, but it takes awhile & is very painful. I just know that I can't afford to keep taking him to the vet & torturing him only to see it get worse.
If anyone out there in cat blog land has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them. I don't know what else to do.

6 comments:

Hansel said...

Hello!

we have seen tons of hematomas. But will admit, never in a cat.

The ear SHOULD be drained, and warm compresses should be there. And yes it will heal on its, own but it is easier on the baby if it's draining.


On a dog, they would put a cannula (like a drain) in the ear and suture it in place for 1 week. Then they would remove the drain and sutures.


However, we think you should compress it, and if there is a scab where it's been drained, wipe it off so it can continue to drain. This way it will stop filling up.

That's what we would do.

Quill and Greyson said...

I was going to suggest warm compresses too. Poor guy.

The Island Cats said...

I am so sorry Festus is still having problems. I hope someone can provide some help to you. The only other thing I can suggest is perhaps a second opinion from another vet? I know, it is getting quite expensive and you hate dragging him to the vet.

I sure hope Festus is feeling better soon.

Island Cats' mom

Daisy said...

I'm so sorry Festus is still having troubles with his ear. We are purring for him.

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

We have no suggestions. Sorry! We do have lots of purrs for you and Festus

Anonymous said...

We are still purraying for Festus and hoping that the warm compresses work.